Sunday, March 30, 2014

Super Easy Recipe: Slow Cooker Applesauce


Growing up we called it a Crock Pot. My mom always had a Crock Pot, as an adult I had a Crock Pot, it was a Crock Pot. It was actually not until I was in my 30's that I heard the term "slow cooker". OH, so that's what it is...

But around here, you'll still hear us call it a Crock Pot. We also call tissues Kleenexes. I can't be the only one?!

Anyways, I decided this time around to make all of my own baby food. It's honestly more convenient for me. Good organic, no sugar, no grains, baby food is scarce unless I drive an hour. I prefer to just prepare things we eat. It works for us.

This recipe is delicious and not just for babies! The whole family will love it. Promise.

Slow-Cooker Applesauce
3 lbs organic apples - any variety that isn't too tart. I used Gala here. I like to play around and try different type of apples, even combining several. This can also be a great way to use apples that have been on the counter almost too long.



Wash, peel, core, and rough chop the apples. My goats and chickens don't mind if I'm not too precise here since they get the scraps!


Add apples to your slow cooker and set to low.


 Cook for 3 to 4 hours. Slow cookers will vary so you may want to try this recipe for the first time when you can be home to watch it. The time may need adjusted or you may even need to add some water. My Crock Pot is perfect with just the apples cooked on low for just over 3 hours.


Once the apples are done (easily mashed with a fork) I blend well with my immersion blender.


You can add a sprinkle of cinnamon here if you'd like. I haven't tried that with Baby O. yet, so right now I just make it plain.


Yep, that's really it! One ingredient. Perfection.


This recipe makes about 24 ounces. It's just right for our family for a week. There's 8 ounces for Baby O. and 16 ounces for the boys (if your family is big on applesauce you may want to double this). We store this in the refrigerator and it's generally gone within the week. You could also freeze portions in an ice cube tray if you're making this strictly for your baby.



What's your favorite super easy Crock Pot recipe??




No comments:

Post a Comment